Wednesday, September 17, 2008

STR aware win will be hard to repeat

STR aware win will be hard to repeat

Toro Rosso's technical director Giorgio Ascanelli has played down his team's chances of repeating the sensational victory scored at the Italian Grand Prix in the four races remaining.

Sebastian Vettel made perfect use of the tricky conditions and took a commanding maiden win for his and his team after having started from pole position.

Ascanelli is aware that the result will be hard to repeat this year, but the Italian admitted the victory will be a boost for the whole team.

"To keep working, and nothing else," Ascanelli said when asked what to expect from the rest of the season. "I am not sure this can be repeated but I think it will have a positive effect. It shows we can do it. It is a very good message.

"And if I may say, it is nice to see the smallest budget winning a race here at the fastest circuit in the world. It is nice to see a passionate man like Mr. Mateschitz having his efforts rewarded.

"And it shows that one day, if you try really hard, you can make it. That is it."

Ascanelli said Vettel has matured a lot since last season, and he is adamant the young German is a future champion.

"He has done something amazing. He has matured," he added. "He is obviously learning a lot. He has more Euros than all of us! I think I have been happy and lucky in my old age to see another champion growing. I have never seen a champion growing and it is nice to see one.

"I may say I feel I have contributed a little bit. He is very polished, very shiny and he is not as rough as he was one year ago.

"I think he has got to learn some lessons yet, the most important one is not to be self-confident. I am sure he keeps his feet on the ground, he keeps his head clear and he will do a fantastic job."



  • Real avoid nightmare finish
  • Vettel not judging new car’s pace yet
  • Kamara shines in rare set-up role
  • No comments: