Sunday, July 20, 2008

Trulli: Fourth shows Toyota's progress

Trulli: Fourth shows Toyota's progress

Jarno Trulli believes that his fourth place on the German Grand Prix grid is a sign that Toyota could be quick enough to hang on to their fourth place in the constructors' championship until the end of the season.

The team currently have 25 points, just one point ahead of Red Bull, but comfortably clear of the chasing Williams and Renault.

Fourth in the standings would equal Toyota's best ever Formula One season in 2005, and Trulli is optimistic that the team's recent progress can keep them in contention.

"I'm happy for me, and I'm happy also because the team is putting in a lot of effort," he said.

"All the time we are trying to improve the car and bring some new bits which eventually will help me to perform and bring some more points for the constructors' championship and for me.

"So for the moment the situation is looking pretty good. We are in a good position to score some good points. Probably it will be difficult to fight for the podium like at Magny-Cours, but I'm there."

He believes the next round of upgrades will further cement Toyota's current strong position.

"We are going to test the Hungary configuration next week, which should be a new step," Trulli said.

"I'm confident; I just hope that we can keep on pushing and collecting points, because the season is still very long.

"We are fourth in the championship, but there is a long way to go and our opponents are close, so we really have to put in all the effort we can."

But while Trulli is starting ahead of Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari and both BMWs this afternoon, he admitted that he expects to lose a little ground in the race.

"I will do my race. I don't think I can keep people behind me for 67 laps," he said.

"These are not my rivals. I have to think about Renault, Red Bull. It will be hard to think that we will be able to battle with Ferrari or McLaren. Or even BMW.

"Let's see what happens, but I will do my race and we will see after the race what the outcome is."



  • Elias targets more progress in France
  • JiR set top five championship target
  • Q and A with Jarno Trulli
  • Lorenzo to have further tests
  • Massa tops damp first practice - Canada
  • No comments: