Monday, August 4, 2008

Glock hails 'unbelievable' maiden podium

Glock hails 'unbelievable' maiden podium

Timo Glock labeled his maiden Formula One podium as unbelievable after the Toyota driver came in second place at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The German, racing for the first time since his heavy crash in the previous race, put on one of the drives of the race to finish only behind the McLaren of Heikki Kovalainen.

Although Glock came under pressure from Kimi Raikkonen near the end, the Toyota man kept his cool to achieve his first result in Formula One.

"It is just unbelievable," said Glock. "I could not believe it when I saw Felipe's engine go and I was P2. I was under pressure from Kimi, with soft tyres and I was struggling quite a lot. We knew since Friday that the soft tyres would be difficult.

"It is unbelievable. I had a really good car. It was perfect until last stint. Unbelievable, in my first year..."

Glock admitted the last part of the race was just about not making any mistakes, despite Raikkonen showing stronger speed.

"In my last season of GP2 I was stuck in middle of field. I had a good car but could not get past anyone, and in F1 is even more difficult," he said. "So I saw him in my mirrors and I knew I could not make any mistakes."

The result, together with Jarno Trulli's seventh place, allowed Toyota to consolidate in fourth position in the constructors' championship.



  • Rossi hails emotional maiden Laguna win
  • Tyre strategies - Canadian GP
  • Glock thrilled with career-best result
  • No comments: