Saturday, October 18, 2008

Kubica's title chances take a hit

Kubicas title chances take a hit

Championship hopeful Robert Kubica blamed the poor balance of his BMW Sauber car for his struggles during qualifying for the Chinese Grand Prix.

The Pole, whose chances of fighting for the title have taken a big hit today, failed to make it to the final qualifying segment for the second time this season.

Kubica will start from 11th position and is expecting a very difficult race because he can't change his car's set-up.

"A very disappointing qualifying," said Kubica. "I was struggling with the balance of the car all weekend. We made some changes before qualifying, but they had a negative effect.

"The car was difficult to drive and I couldn't push as I wanted. I expect a tough race because now we are not allowed to change the set-up."

Teammate Nick Heidfeld qualified in seventh but will start from sixth following a penalty to Mark Webber.

The German admitted he was happy to continue with his streak of good qualifying results.

"I think this was the best I could manage today, and I'm glad the positive trend in qualifying I had in the last three races has continued," he said.

"I feel sorry for Robert. Apparently he struggled here and this grid position reduces his championship chances, but certainly we'll never give up."



  • Kubica not surprised by lack of pace
  • Revs able to create chances without Ralston
  • No comments: