Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fisichella aiming to end negative streak

Fisichella aiming to end negative streak

Giancarlo Fisichella is aiming to end a run of retirements at this weekend's French Grand Prix at Magny-Cours, a track the Italian admits he does not enjoy.

The Force India driver last saw the chequered flag at the Spanish Grand Prix in April.

Fisichella says he is not particularly looking forward to this weekend's race, but the Roman is still aiming to cross the finish line.

"Magny-Cours is actually one of the tracks I do not enjoy on the calendar," said Fisichella.

"It's the circuit where I had my biggest accident in Formula One, back in 2002 and I had to miss the race after crashing in practice so for sure I don't have great memories of it.

"Also I don't see any particular challenge with it. As you know though, in our job you have to accept the good and the bad.

"Under normal conditions we need to finish the race, as we have not seen the chequered flag for the last three events. I'm still disappointed about Canada as I could not show my true colours on a circuit I love so much, but we have more races this year, and more chances to show what we can do."

Teammate Adrian Sutil is also hoping to end a negative streak after two retirements in a row.

The German admits, however, that Magny-Cours is actually one of his favourite circuits.

"Actually I quite like Magny-Cours. I know a lot of drivers don't enjoy it, but it's one of my favourite tracks," he said.

"I hope now I can get another good memory from France. The last two races have been disappointing in results, with two DNFs which is never good, but we have been quite competitive in the races.

"In Monaco especially, but in Canada also I was very close to the Toyotas, but just couldn't find a way past. It could have been a good race, it was a shame not to finish.

"I hope then in Magny-Cours we are able to do a really great race. I have experience now, I know the track so I am really confident I can do well. We are also getting better in qualifying, but are just not close enough to get into Q2. We have to work on this in France."



  • France preview quotes: Toyota
  • Brazilian Iaconelli joins BCN
  • Ecclestone: No more races at Magny-Cours
  • No comments: